These instructions will walk you through downloading and installing the PaperCut for Mac client and connect to SecurePrint for submitting print jobs. This process may involve steps that are not familiar to you. Do NOT use this install on an SPU-managed computer.
Throughout the installation and configuration process, you may be prompted for either your SPU Username and Password (use your full email address) or your computer's local administrative account and password (the one you type to install programs or updates).
- Operating System: OS X 10.6 or higher
- Processor: Dual Core 2.0Ghz or higher
- Memory: 1GB or higher
- Free Space on Hard Drive: 1GB or more
|You must be connected to the SPU campus network for these steps to work.|
- Click the Download Now link on the SPU Download Center page. This will bring up a log in screen. Log in with your SPU Username and Password.
- The file will start downloading and save into your Downloads folder.
- Locate and double click the PapercutMacClient.zip file to extract the files.
- Once the contents have been extracted, run the Install Papercut file.
- You may get the error "Install Papercut script can't be opened because it's from an unidentified developer". Use the following instructions if you get this error.
- Open System Preferences -> Security and Privacy
- Make sure you are on the General tab.
- Change the Allow applications downloaded from: setting to Anywhere (you should change this setting back after you have installed papercut).
- Rerun the script and continue on to Step 6.
- If you are prompted to install the Java client, choose yes. Enter your local administrator password if prompted.
- You will be prompted to "Install PCClient into the Applications folder". Click Yes.
- Enter your SPU Username and Password in the Papercut window that appears and check the box next to Remember my identity.
- Open System Preferences -> Users and Groups (Accounts for OS X 10.6) and ensure that the currently logged on user is selected.
- Select the Login Items tab.
- Click the "+" button, navigate to the applications folder in the left-hand pane. Click PCClient, click Add, and then click the checkbox next to PCClient to hide the application when it starts.
- Open System Preferences -> Sharing.
- Click the checkbox to the left of Printer Sharing.
- Open System Preferences -> Print & Scan (Print & Fax for OS X 10.6).
- Click the "+" button.
- Press the Control Key (ctrl) on your keyboard and click on the grey menu header between the "Windows" icon and the search bar. In the context menu that opens, select Customize Toolbar.
- Click and drag the Advanced (gear) icon from the window that appears onto your menu bar (next to the "Windows" icon) and select done.
- Click Advanced and give the computer approximately a minute or so to search for printers. The manual entry screen will then appear.
- Choose Windows (OS X 10.6) or Windows Printer Via Spools (OS X 10.7 and up) for type.
- Enter "smb://print-serv-01/secureprint" in the URL as shown below:
Choose Select Printer Software... from the Use drop-down. Find and use the SHARP MX-2640N PPD driver as shown below. Users on OS X 10.9 will not have the Advanced Driver Settings available and will need to use the SHARP Generic Driver.
- Choose OK and then click Add.
- Configure printer options as shown in the screenshot and then click OK.
- If you changed your security settings to allow applications from unknown developers (Step 5), use the following instructions to set them back:
- Open System Preferences -> Security and Privacy.
- Make sure you are on the General tab.
- Change Allow applications download from: to Mac App Store and Identified Developers.
- Continue to step 25.
- Log off of your computer and log back on. The Papercut client will start in minimized mode.
Instructions for Printing
- Print a document to SecurePrint as you would to any other printer.
- You will be prompted for your SPU Username and password. In the username field, put accounts\yourusername and enter your password in the password field. Be sure to check "remember this password in my keychain" if you don't want to be prompted again.
- Be sure to wait for the Papercut dialog box to appear and click Print.
- Release your printed job from the printer.
For more information on the SecurePrint printer, visit our SecurePrint Instructions page.
Related articles appear here based on the labels you select. Click to edit the macro and add or change labels.