This is the home page for the SOE Graduate Students space.
- First Steps After Admission
- Quick Start Guide to SPU
- Financial Aid Orientation
- Teacher Education Orientation
- Scholarships, Additional Funding, and Graduate Assistantships
- Academic Tools
- Teacher Education Student Resources
- Fingerprint Process for Certification Students
- Doctoral Student Resources
- Finishing Your Degree: Applying to Graduate and Reviewing Degree Check
- Emergency Response Information
- Other SPU Services
- Contact Us
If you have questions and don't know who to ask, please contact us at email@example.com. We are here to help!
News and Updates
Important Information on Spring Degree Posting
When will my degree be posted?
Grades for Spring quarter are due at the end of the day on Monday, June 21. Megan Hamshar will begin recommending degree conferral the following day. Due to the volume of graduates, this will take upwards of a week to complete.
Assuming you meet all requirements to graduate (all courses passed, all non-credit requirements met), Megan will recommend you to Student Academic Services for degree conferral. Their process takes about a week.
You will receive an email from Megan when your degree has been posted.
Important: do not order an official degree transcript until you receive this email from Megan. If you order it early, we cannot guarantee your degree will be listed on your transcript.
If you do not meet the requirements for degree posting in Spring quarter, Megan will manually change the term of your graduation to Summer.
When will I receive my diploma?
Diplomas will be mailed out 4-6 weeks following degree conferral. They will be sent to the address you indicated when you applied to graduate. Please note that due to COVID-19 office closures, this process may be delayed.
For teacher certification students
For those of you in teacher certification programs, please note that before Megan can post your degree, you must also meet all requirements for a Residency Teaching Certificate or an Emergency Teaching Certificate. The full list of requirements is posted in the Teacher Ed Hub in Canvas.
For all certification students
If you have questions about your certificate (teacher, school counselor, administrator), please contact the Certification Office.
Summer and Autumn Quarter Registration Information
Summer Quarter 2021 registration for all students begins on May 3 at 8:00am.
Autumn Quarter 2021 registration for current graduate and doctoral students begins on May 10 at 10:00am. New students admitted for Autumn 2021 may begin registering for Autumn quarter on May 24.
As always, before students are able to register all holds must be resolved. Holds may be added at any time, including the day you are scheduled to register.
To check holds:
- Log in to: Banner Information System
- Click on:
- Student Menu
- Registration and Class Schedules Menu
- Class Registration & Planning
- Prepare for Registration
- Use the drop down box to select Summer 2021 and click “continue.” This should bring up your registration status screen for the term and show you if you have any holds.
To register for Summer quarter, beginning on May 3 at 8:00am or for Autumn quarter, beginning on May 10 at 10:00am:
- Log in to: Banner Information System
- Click on:
- Student Menu
- Registration and Class Schedules Menu
- Class Registration and Planning
- Register for Classes
- Use the drop down box and select: Summer 2021 or Autumn 2021 and click “continue”
To change credits for a course that has variable credits: These courses will always default to 1 credit after registration.
To change this: After you have registered, when you are in the “register for classes” menu option, click on the fourth tab on the upper left side, labeled “schedule and options”. This allows you to view your schedule and anything that is underlined is a variable credit course and the credit amount is able to be changed. Click on the number of credits next to this course and it will give you the option to change the variable credit amount. After selecting the desired amount click “submit” and your new registration will be saved.
A few more important notes about Summer registration:
- Adding Classes: Student must register prior to the first day of the course. Registrations will not be accepted once a course has begun.
- Dropping Classes: Students must drop the course before the class ends. Once the course has ended, students will not be allowed to withdraw. Note: Dropping a course will not affect your GPA and will not appear on your transcript for Summer Quarter only.
- Tuition Refund Schedule: Summer has its own unique refund schedule. Please refer to the Summer 2021 website for details.
- Internships, Independent Studies, Individual Instruction in Music and Dissertation have the extended registration deadline of Monday, July 12.
A few more important notes about Autumn registration:
- Online Registration will remain open until September 17 at 11:59pm.
- Any registration attempted after registration deadlines will require a Registration Petition submitted to Student Academic Services.
- Dissertation & Practicum credits have an extended online registration deadline of September 24 at 11:59 pm.
- Independent Studies have an extended registration deadline of September 24 at 4:30pm but require additional paperwork so cannot be registered via Banner. The Independent Study Agreement must be received in Student Academic Services before this deadline to avoid a petition process.
- Registration deadlines and tuition refund deadlines can be found on the academic calendar.
A full listing of all Summer 2021 and Autumn 2021 courses is available online through our Graduate Time Schedule. Please be sure to check out any restrictions or required pre-requisites to make sure you are eligible for the courses you want to register for. All restrictions, special approval requirements, and pre-requisites are listed by each class under “Course Details” in the time schedule. Please check with your program’s graduate coordinator (either Amelia Morgan or Megan Hamshar) if a hold of this type needs to be removed.
For more detailed instructions on registration and for information on how to use the class planning option now available in Banner, click here.
Check out the Summer 2021 website for helpful tips for a successful quarter.
Questions? Please contact Student Academic Services in any of the following ways:
SOE Registration Contacts:
If you have any questions about registration for Summer, or have any trouble registering, please contact one of the two staff members below.
Graduate teacher education programs: Amelia Morgan
All other graduate programs: Megan Hamshar
School of Education 2021-2022 Scholarship Application Now Open
The general School of Education scholarship application is now open for the 2021-2022 academic year. Please note that only students who will be enrolled in classes for the 2021-2022 academic year, beginning Autumn 2021, may apply for one of our scholarships. All students apply for most scholarships via one application.
Find specific information regarding our scholarships and the link to apply. The deadline to apply is March 15 for undergraduate students and June 15 for graduate students.
The scholarship may be renewed, but a new application is required each year.
Graduating Students: Review Your Degree Check!
Now is the time to have a look at your degree check in Banner to make sure you are on track to graduate in the term you selected. Please note that your degree audit is based off of the Catalog requirements for the program and term you were admitted. This may mean that there are some substitutions or equivalencies that need to be noted in order to complete your record.
Please have a look at your degree check, and let Megan Hamshar know of anything that looks amiss. She will work with each of you to ensure that your degree check accurately reflects your progress and that you are on track to earn your degree!
To access degree check, please follow these directions.
- Log into Banner
- Select the Student Menu
- Select the Academic Records Menu
- Select “GR and DR Degree Status Check”
- Click the blue “admitted term” hyperlink to the right of your program of study. For example:
- Note: If the hyperlink does not populate your program, follow the prompts in the dropdown menus to find the degree check appropriate to your program.
- Remember to select your term of admission, not the current term.
To read degree check
Degree check lists all courses required during the Catalog year of your admission. Courses in green are complete. Courses in red are not complete. Please also pay attention to the total number of outstanding credits at the bottom of your degree check, as well as substitutions and general comments that Megan Hamshar may have already entered on your degree check.
If something seems inaccurate or incomplete, please email Megan Hamshar by February 28 outlining the issue, and she will review and update degree check as appropriate.
The School of Education wants to make sure our students achieve success. That is why we’ve partnered with My Student Support Program (My SSP) to offer a new service to support the emotional health and wellbeing of our students. If you are feeling overwhelmed with your studies, experiencing uncertainty over recent events, or have something else occupying your thoughts and need to connect with a professional counselor, My SSP can help.
The best way to connect is through the My SSP app, which features support in multiple languages*, assessments, articles, and podcasts to support your emotional wellbeing. Plus, there are virtual fitness sessions to help you stay active and healthy at home.
How to get started:
- Search ‘My SSP’ from either the Apple App Store or Google Play, select your school (SPU) and complete the profile.
- Start a real-time chat or phone call with a professional (24/7, no appointment needed).
- Call to schedule short-term support via phone and video sessions with a dedicated counselor.
- Support is available in multiple languages* and from counselors who understand the unique challenges students face.
- You can also connect with My SSP by visiting us.myissp.com or calling 1.866.743.7732.
My SSP is free and confidential, meaning your professors, friends, family, etc. will not know you reached out unless you choose to tell them. Discover more about the program by watching this video or learn more at www.spu.edu/grad-student-counseling.
Virtual Campus Tour
The university has recently completed a virtual campus tour project, and you can take a look here!
Apply to Graduate!
Finishing your degree between Winter 2021 and Autumn 2021? Now is the time to apply to graduate!
Find the directions on how to apply here: Finishing Your Degree: Applying to Graduate and Reviewing Degree Check
- No labels