Access to Recover Deleted Items is available through Outlook 2016, or in a web browser using Webmail. Items can be browsed, sorted, and recovered using this interface. Items to be recovered must be individually selected and will be restored to the Deleted Items folder upon recovery.
Recover Deleted Items
In Outlook 2010 or 2013:
- Click on the Folder tab at the top of the Outlook Window.
- Click on the Recover Deleted Items button in the Outlook menu.
- Right-click the Deleted Items folder in the pane on the left side of the window.
- Choose the Recover Deleted Items option in the menu that appears
If you do not see the Recover Deleted Items option when you right-click, you may have selected the Favorites version, which is similar to a short-cut. Look for the Deleted Items folder listed underneath your Last Name, First Name header.
Summary of Email Deletion Process
The follow steps outline the process that email messages follow when they are deleted.
- A mailbox item starts out in the Inbox or one of the Sub-folders of the inbox.
- The item is deleted from its location in the Inbox or Sub-folder, and is moved to the Deleted Items folder.
- The Deleted Items folder is periodically emptied into the Holding folder.
- Items in the Holding folder can be restored up to 60 days after deletion through use of the Recover Deleted Items interface.