Some network capable devices are not supported and may not work on SPU's network:
- Wireless and Network Printers
- Media Streaming Devices (Chromecast, Slingbox, Roku, etc.)
These devices do not work because they are designed for home networks that have one subnet (sub-network). SPU's network, like many large enterprise networks, is configured with many subnets (sub-networks) to accommodate the thousands of devices on campus. Devices in different subnets are not able to communicate directly with each other and any two devices on SPU-Wireless have a high likelihood of being placed in different subnets.
Personally-owned routers are also not supported and will not work on SPU's network.
Newer Apple TV has the ability to communicate with newer Macs, iPhones, or iPads using Bluetooth and a direct WiFi connection without the need to connect to SPU-Wireless. This feature is only available on the following devices:
- Apple TV 2 or newer, running Apple TV OS 7 or newer.
- iPhone 5 or newer, running iOS 8 or newer.
- iPad 3 or newer, running iOS 8 or newer.
- A Mac from 2012 or newer, running OS X Yosemite or newer.