The purchasing processes that are detailed on this web site are designed to provide departments with maximum flexibility in obtaining goods and services to carry out their assigned operations while maintaining appropriate levels of institutional control and review. The control and review aspects are necessary to ensure that the University can meet its regulatory (IRS, Department of Revenue, etc.) requirements; uphold its fiscal responsibility to students, donors and trustees; and maintain the integrity of financial information used in decision making.
All purchases must be in line with Purchasing Authorities.
All items (Purchase Orders/Contracts with a Financial Impact/Requests for Payment/Reimbursements) must be reviewed by someone with appropriate Purchasing Authority. The requisitioner and the approver cannot be the same person.
- Computer and Information Systems (CIS) sets computer hardware, systems, and software standards, as well as audio and video equipment standards. Contact CIS for assistance in choosing computer-related products and services.
- Facility Management sets furnishing and fixture standards. All purchases of furnishings and fixtures must be coordinated through Facilities.
- The Facilities Department handles signage standards in the same manner as it handles furnishing and fixture standards.
- All modifications to spaces/facilities or attachments to facilities must be approved and implemented by the Facilities Department.
- Complete Office is SPU's preferred vendor for general office supplies, and they will match or beat other vendors' prices.
The Accounts Payable department has a Key Performance Indicator of processing all Requests for Payments within five days of receiving them. Note, as custodians of the University's money, the AP department pays vendors in accordance with their credit terms.
If a department submits a request for payment within five days of an invoice being due, a Rush Check may need to be raised. AP will work with departments to determine if this is necessary. If so, the department will be charged a $75.00 processing fee.
If a vendor reaches out to a department with a query on the status of their payment which has been submitted to Finance, redirect them to email@example.com.