Create Your Wordpress Site
- Go to WordPress.com
- Select "Get Started"
- Follow the steps to Create a site.
- Choose a simple design
- Choose one of the nine free themes
For Step 3 (find a domain) please use the following formula: your spu email name + wi18
- For example, my SPU email name is: thansen3
- In the "Enter a domain" box I will type: thansen3wi18
- The first free option should be: thansen3wi18.wordpress.com
- Select the free plan
- Provide an email and create a password to finish setting up your site.
- Once you have finished creating your site, I suggest making your blog Hidden by going to Settings and, under Privacy, selecting Hidden (if you select Private you will need to approve access for me; this can be a hassle).
- Please make a brief introductory post and share the link to Canvas below.
- You should share the URL provided under the Share tab in WordPress. If you copy-paste the address in the address bar, you are asking me to log in as you to edit the post in your dashboard, so please be sure to share the right link.
- Alternatively, you can select the link button and copy the URL provided there.
Be sure to Publish your post before sharing your link to Canvas.
Any portfolio that does not include ALL of the above will be considered INCOMPLETE. Furthermore, any portfolio in which several of the assignments fall significantly short of their length requirements will also be considered incomplete.
While you are required to include everything that you have done over the quarter, the portfolio will be assessed only on the Reflective Guide/cover letter, the one revised major paper, and the two or three revised short assignments.
Format Requirements: Every revised paper must meet all of the format requirements that have been effective throughout the length of the quarter. They are:
- Times New Roman, 12 pt.
- Double spaced
- 1” margins all around
- MLA standards of documentation: in-text citations (use page numbers from the course reader) and a works cited page (as needed)
- Additionally, all drafts (revised and unrevised) will be uploaded to your portfolio as PDFs (rather than as Word documents)
Points will be deducted from an improperly formatted portfolio or a portfolio in which several assignments do not meet the formatting guidelines. In addition, each of your revised papers should have an original title so that you can refer to it in the Reflective Guide/cover letter.
Assembling the portfolio
There are two options for how you may choose to design and arrange your electronic Portfolio on WordPress
Use this checklist to be sure that you have included copies of all the required assignments that should appear in your Compendium of Work:
- Short Paper 1.1
- Short Paper 1.2
- Peer Review Draft for Major Paper 1
- Second Draft for Major Paper 1—please include a works cited
- Short Paper 2.1.1
- Short Paper 2.1
- Short Paper 2.2—please include a works cited
- Peer Review Draft for Major Paper 2
- Second Draft for Major Paper 2—please include a works cited
- Selected Writing Journal Posts
- The Reflective Guide/Cover Letter—see page 3 of this packet for instructions (will not be included in the Compendium)