Student Academic Services
Seattle Pacific University is committed to meeting the provisions established in the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), which protects the right of parents of dependent students and of students who are attending or have attended the University.
Retention period of various academic documents can be found on the SPU Records Retention Schedule For Academic Records.
Computer & Information Systems
"4.2 Your Content" policy states:
Your Content shall at all times remain your sole property and you agree that you have no right, title or interest in or to any other Content that appears on or in the Instructure Properties. You represent that you have all necessary right, power and authority to post Your Content to the Instructure Properties. You agree to allow Instructure and its applicable contractors to freely host, reproduce, transmit, modify, display and otherwise use Your Content (in whole or in part) as reasonably necessary to provide the Services to you, and in accordance with Instructure’s agreement with your Entity, if applicable."
If you have any questions or concerns regarding Privacy, please contact email@example.com
The Purposes for which we Use Personal Information
We may use your Personal Information from our Websites for the following purposes:
- To respond to your inquiries and fulfill your requests.
- To communicate with you and provide you with customer service.
- To send you marketing communications, including via email in compliance with applicable laws, that we believe may be of interest to you.
- To personalize your experience on our Websites.
- For our business purposes, such as data analysis, enhancing, improving or modifying our Sites and services, identifying usage trends, determining the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns and operating our business activities.
- As we believe to be necessary or appropriate: (a) under applicable law, including laws outside your country of residence; (b) to comply with legal process; (c) to respond to requests from public and government authorities including public and government authorities outside your country of residence; (d) to enforce our terms and conditions; (e) to protect our operations or those of any of our affiliates; (f) to protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, and/or that of our Affiliates, you or others; and (g) to allow us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain.
Similar to other websites, we automatically receive and record information from a variety of sources including, but not limited to, information from your browser, web beacons, pixel tags, social media buttons, third-party cookie information, URL links, and other methods when you visit any of our Websites. Information that you post or communicate via our Websites is collected by us and we ask for information such as your name, title, company name, job description, expertise, zip code/postal address, telephone number, or email address and other information when you register with us.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding Privacy, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
More information can be found on the Panopto Privacy Policies page.
"We endeavor to keep your personal data safe and secure at all times. Our data is stored in the EU or USA with robust physical, digital, and procedural safeguards in place to protect your personal data, including the use of SSL encryption, redundant servers and data centers, and sophisticated perimeter security. We continuously audit for security vulnerabilities and make software patching a priority. Passwords are required to access your personal data, so please remember to keep your password confidential. Even with the tightest security systems, no one can guarantee protection from hackers and unauthorized third parties who capture information provided over public networks."
If you have any questions or concerns regarding Privacy, please contact email@example.com
More information can be found on the Turnitin Privacy and Security page.
Compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (“FERPA”)
FERPA protects personally identifiable information contained in students’ education records from unauthorized use or disclosure. If you are an educational institution, or a teacher or school official at an educational institution, that is required to comply with FERPA, we will only use any education records (as defined under FERPA) that you may make available to Poll Everywhere for the purpose of providing the Services to you. We will never share or sell FERPA-protected information, or use it for any other purpose, except as otherwise directed or permitted by you. If a parent or eligible student requests access to any education records that are hosted on our servers, we will help facilitate such access.
EU-U.S. and Swiss-U.S. Privacy Shield and the GDPR
If you have any questions or concerns regarding Privacy, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Zoom (Webinar/Online Conferencing)
Data Subject Rights
You have certain rights with respect to your Personal Data as set forth below. Please note that in some circumstances, we may not be able to fully comply with your requests, or we may ask you to provide us with additional information in connection with your request, which may be Personal Data, for example, if we need to verify your identity or the nature of your request. In such situations, however, we will still respond to let you know of our decision.
To make any of the following requests, contact us using the contact details referred to in the “Contact Us” section of this policy.
- Access: You can request more information about the Personal Data we hold about you. You can also request a copy of the Personal Data.
- Rectification: If you believe that any Personal Data we are holding about you is incorrect or incomplete, you can request that we correct or supplement such data. You can also correct some of this information directly by logging into your service account. Please contact us as soon as possible upon noticing any such inaccuracy or incompleteness.
- Objection: You can contact us to let us know that you object to the collection or use of your Personal Data for certain purposes.
- Erasure: You can request that we erase some or all of your Personal Data from our systems. Data subjects who want their data deleted can do so by deactivating their account. Deactivation will delete all account usage and related information. If you are not a Zoom customer and would like your data deleted, please contact the data Controller directly about deleting information.
- Restriction of Processing: You can ask us to restrict further processing of your Personal Data.
- Portability: You have the right to ask for a copy of your Personal Data in a machine-readable format. You can also request that we transmit the data to another entity where technically feasible.
- Withdrawal of Consent: If we are processing your Personal Data based on your consent (as indicated at the time of collection of such data), you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time. Please note, however, that if you exercise this right, you may have to then provide express consent on a case-by-case basis for the use or disclosure of certain of your Personal Data, if such use or disclosure is necessary to enable you to utilize some or all of our Products.
- Right to File Complaint: You have the right to lodge a complaint about Zoom’s practices with respect to your Personal Data with the supervisory authority of your country or EU Member State.
In order to make such a request of us, please contact our Privacy Team at email@example.com
- iTunes U data is stored in a separate database from other types of iTunes data.
- iTunes U data is only used to provide the service.
- iTunes U data is never used for advertising.
- Account data stored in iTunes is subject to Apple’s standard data policies.
- Access to user and instructor data is limited to Apple personnel who require such access to support the service.
Immediate deletion upon request
When a user requests that iTunes U data be deleted, the data is deleted immediately. Users will still have access to iTunes U information stored locally on their devices.
After the semester ends
Any information or data (like homework or grades) gathered while using iTunes U is controlled by the institution or instructor. They can delete it at the end of each semester or any time.
Once the data is deleted from our systems, it will no longer be available. Users will still have access to any local information stored on their devices.
More information can be found on the iTunes U Security and Privacy page.
The Purposes for which we Use Personal Information;
- When a Discussion Owner posts content (text, images, photographs, videos, messages, comments, or any other kind of content) on the Service, the information contained in the posting, including first name, last name, email address, any audio and image included within any video, will be stored in our Service for purposes of providing the Service.
When a Discussion Owner logs into an existing account through their Microsoft or Google account, we may collect first and last name, email address and other information specific to that third party account to authenticate the Discussion Owner.
- When a Discussion Owner provides feedback to a Student, such as replying to a video book report, assessing foreign language skills, encouraging group discussion, or prompting the scientific method, we store the feedback in the Service for purposes of providing the Service.
- We store and process User personal information to provide, improve and develop the Service
We may also share User personal information for legal, protection, and safety purposes. We may share information to comply with applicable laws.
read more here
Youtube - Google
Review YouTube Privacy Guidelines page for more information.
Respondus Lockdown Browser and Monitor
As of Spring 2021 quarter, Respondus LockDown Browser & Respondus Monitor was disabled within Canvas, the university is not renewing its contract.
"The privacy of your personal information is important to us. We are committed to providing you with an experience with all our products and services that is safe, secure, and trustworthy." Learn more by reading the Respondus Privacy pages.