- Select the video to which you would like to add captions.
- Click the CC icon displayed underneath the video.
You can choose "Generate Captions" or "Create Captions Manually".
Problems with Auto-generated Captions
Note: If you choose to have captions auto-generated, you may want to proof-read the captions and check them for accuracy.
- Click the CC icon on the video you want to add captions to in Canvas.
- Follow the prompts to upload a caption file.
- We recommend using or downloading Subtitle Edit to create caption files in either SRT or WebVTT format.
A more detailed guide on how to caption videos in Canvas can be found here.
Why Captioned Lectures Matter
This video, courtesy of the UW DO-IT Center, emphasizes the importance of making lectures accessible online with captions.