Export your Canvas Course
This will create a special Canvas course package, that can be sent to other instructors to upload into their courses.
- In Course Navigation, click the Settings link and then click the Export Course Content button.
- Choose your Export Type, Course or Quiz and press the Create Export button.
- After the export file is generated, you may use the "Click here to download" link to save the *imscc file to your computer.
- This file can then be shared with other instructors.
- If you also needed quizzes other the other option, go through the steps again to generate an export of the content.
- Course exports expire after 30 days; if the link is expired, generate a new export
- Exports may take a while to generate based on the course size, you can leave the page and return later - an email will let you know when the export is finished being generated
Importing a Canvas course export package
- In Course Navigation, click the Settings link then click the Import Content into this Course button.
- In the Content Type drop-down menu, choose the Canvas Course Export Package option.
- Click the Choose File button.
- Once the window opens, locate the *imscc file you want to import and Click the Open button.
- Select what content to import and whether or not you want to adjust the assignment/event dates and times:
- To import all content from the course, select the All Content button(1)
Click the Select specific content button(2), if you want to select specific content
- - If you click the Select specific content button, you will see the Import button (step 6).
- - Current jobs section will appear, click the Select Content button.
- - Content can be individual items or a content group. Content groups will show the number of items within the group. To view content within a group, click the group's expand icon.
- -To import content, click the checkbox next to the content name. If the content type is a group, Canvas will automatically select all items within the group
If you want to adjust the due dates associated with the course events and assignments, click the Adjust events and due dates checkbox.
Click the Import button
The Current Jobs section displays the status of your import. Running reports display a menu bar with the time remaining to complete the import (1)
If you choose to select specific content in your course, the current job will show as Waiting for Select (2), which means you must select the content you want to import.