Announcements are a simple and effective way to contact your entire course through Canvas. Announcements display on most course home page options and under the announcements tab and are a good way to notify students of changes to a Canvas course as well as office hours, finals schedules, and other occurrences. Default notification preferences are such that students will get an email when a new announcement is made and those who have the Canvas app will get a push notification as well. A more detailed guide about creating announcements can be found here.
Canvas allows for easy email communication between members of a course. Emails sent through Canvas to users with institutional emails will also be sent through Outlook.
- In the inbox tab of your global navigation, select "Compose a New Message".
- Select the course you would like to email.
- Select the members of the course you want to email. If none are selected, the whole course will receive the email.
- Compose and send your message.
To view your notification settings:
- In the Canvas global navigation sidebar, select "Account"→ Notifications.
Your notification settings will be displayed. Select different icons to change the frequency with which you are notified.
Mobile Push Notifications
If you have a Canvas app, you can change your push notification preferences from your desktop or from the app itself. To change them within the app, select you profile picture→ Settings→ Notification Preferences→ For All Devices.
- Some notifications in Canvas are set as default, but all are able to be changed. The default notification settings in Canvas' SPU accounts are as follows: